I have over 20 years of senior marketing, communications, public affairs and general management experience in high profile global environments. I help organisations improve their brand, reputation, relationships, employee engagement, financial performance and sustainability. I specialise in the new business environment – the age of climate change, the renewable energy revolution and stronger consumer wants for sustainability and conservation.
- Trusted member of private and public sector executive management teams and adviser to boards, senior executives and leaders of government for over two decades.
- Broad experience across all marketing, communications and public affairs disciplines including strategy and operations; brand management; marketing services; market research; consumer, client, industry and internal communications and relations; traditional, social and online media; issues, incident and crisis communications and management; corporate events; government and regulatory affairs; sustainability and corporate social responsibility and, sponsorship.
- Senior level leader of global teams, business units, cross-functional teams, agencies and advisers with on the ground operational experience on all continents.
- Executive experience with a NYSE listed top 50 global brand and led the development of a marketing and communications platform for a top ten global sporting event.
- Experienced organisational spokesperson and accomplished public speaker including appearances at a TEDx and Mumbrella’s ‘Meet the marketers’ and ‘CommsCon’ series.
- Respected industry professional as a Mumbrella Marketing Awards and CommsCon Awards Jury Captain and Events and Exhibitions Association Awards Judge (marketing categories).
- Up to date professional development from the University of New South Wales with a Master of Business and Technology (completed 2007) and a Master of Environmental Management (due for completion mid-2017).
- Undertook a three-year professional, personal and business development program applying marketing, communications and public affairs disciplines to the fields of climate change, renewable energy and sustainability to help businesses and practitioners survive and thrive in the new business environment.
- Established the marketing and communication function and development of a brand, visual identity and intellectual property protection program for a major international sporting event – the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games (GC2018).
- Led the program that placed Visa Inc. first in sponsor communication (as compared to other sponsors) for the 2010 Olympics and 2010 FIFA World Cup, increasing revenue, brand equity and reputation.
- Achieved the best ever consumer communications results for Visa’s NFL (American Football) sponsorship – increasing revenue, brand equity and reputation.
- Co-led the development of a seven point credit and debit card data security program in Australia (and later introduced globally), increasing revenue, reducing financial and reputation risk and improving the performance and reputation of member financial institutions.
- Led Bali’s tourism recovery communications campaign following 2002 terrorist attack, enhancing the local tourism industry’s reputation within the global industry.
- Was the PR Manager for Sydney’s successful bid to host the 2000 Olympics and then went on to hold several key roles in what later became known “as the best Olympic Games ever”.
Work experience and achievements
Consulting, business development, university education, professional and personal development, Sydney and Bellingen , January 2014 to present
During this period, I have undertaken consulting, under the names of Andrew Woodward Consulting, Climate Communication and Partnership Marketing. I have also undertaken personal and professional development.
- Negotiated a $10m+ sponsorship investment for a top ten global sporting event.
- Provided on going support for sponsorship implementation.
- Was permanent-part-time in-house corporate affairs and communications counsel for a major Australian industry association.
- Worked with a major medical organisation on a crisis management system.
- Following extensive research and consultation, developed a business plan for my own specialist marketing, communication and public affairs consulting business (and commenced operations in November 2015).
- Soft launched Climate Communications with three weekly publications, a website and consulting product for the marketing, advertising and public affairs industries.
- Commenced a Master of Environmental Management at UNSW (due for completion mid-2017).
- Was a Judge and Jury Captain for CommsCon and Mumbrella awards – Australia’s leading awards for the communications industry.
- Was a judge for the Events and Exhibitions Association Awards (marketing categories).
- Undertaken media commentary on sports marketing and major event matters, for global media including the BBC, Al Jazeera and Reuters.
- Chaired the prestigious Business of Sports Sponsorship Conference in Sydney in 2017.
- Chaired sessions at the Mumbrella Sports Leaders Conferences in 2015 and 2016.
- Developed a business and career plan following extensive research and consultation.
- Trained with Al Gore’s Climate Reality Project to become a Climate Reality Leader.
- Took on a formal role as Leader of the Labor Environment Action Network Communications (LEAN) Working Group – aimed at helping the Australian Labor Party develop stronger conservation and sustainability policy and credentials.
- As a LEAN initiative, I was the Labor candidate for the federal Division of Warringah at the 2016 election – running against the incumbent and former Prime Minister, the Hon. Tony Abbott MHR, primarily on the need for action on climate change, renewable energy, sustainability and conservation.
Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Corporation, 2012 to 2013, Gold Coast, SVP/General Manager, Marketing and Communication
I was responsible for all marketing and communication activity as one of three General Managers reporting to the Chief Executive Officer:
- Developed the marketing and communications roadmap for the Commonwealth Games.
- Led the development of the brand and visual identity for the Commonwealth Games.
- Led the $500,000 global launch events project.
- Led the development of a comprehensive legislative and legal IP protection program.
- Led the acquisition of a corporate sales sponsorship agency to raise $95+million and oversaw the development of the sponsorship sales strategy.
- Led the development of the corporate identity, website and merchandise for consumers.
- Led the design and recruitment program to build the marketing and communication function covering marketing services, brand management, public affairs (including media and government communications), corporate communication, community relations, corporate events and workforce communications.
Visa Inc., 2004 – 2011
Visa Inc Global, San Francisco, 2009 – 2011, VP/Director Public Relations – Global & US Marketing
Led profile programs for the CMO and corporate communications for marketing, North America consumer PR and sponsorships including the Olympics, FIFA World Cup and NFL:
- Achieved the best ever PR result for the Olympics (Vancouver) and NFL 2010 season.
- Recorded first place in PR against five other top sponsors in message pull-through and positive coverage for FIFA World Cup on debut.
- Advised on the consumer marketing response to the payments regulatory reforms in the USA.
- Led public affairs and stakeholder relations for issues associated with brand advertising, social media, promotions, sponsorships and campaigns.
- Member of the corporate engagement and consumer hospitality program management teams for major events such as the FIFA World Cup, Olympic Games and NFL Super Bowl.
- Developed the public affairs policy for consumer social media.
- Managed controversial issues associated with consumer social media, sponsorships, campaigns and other marketing activities.
Visa Inc., Asia Pacific, Sydney, 2004 – 2009, VP/Director Public Relations – Corporate Relations
Led all government, public affairs, corporate communications, marketing communications and corporate events:
- Co-developed and led the development of the seven-point security program to reduce credit and debit card data security compromises.
- Managed through the introduction of regulatory reform in Australia and government litigation in NZ.
- Managed close relations with peers in client financial institutions and industry associations.
- Led Visa’s VIP engagement program and its annual member forum corporate event for clients.
- Increased Visa’s standing in the tourism industry through joint research and development.
- Rebuilt entire corporate information library and web site and introduced new publications.
Gavin Anderson & Company, Sydney, 2001 – 2004, VP/Director, Public Affairs
Managed the international promotion, tourism, sport and major events practice in Asia Pacific:
- Worked for the Government of Indonesia and led the strategy for rebuilding Bali’s international image following the 2002 terrorist attack.
- Worked for the Government of Papua New Guinea to manage international issues associated with its tourism brand.
- Worked for the Australian Rugby Union on public affairs, issues management and media services for Rugby World Cup 2003 and for Football Federation Australia (Soccer) on the establishment of the A-League (domestic competition).
Australian Tourist Commission, Sydney, 1997 – 2001, VP/Director, Corporate Affairs
- Responsible for global public affairs, issues management and corporate communications:
- Successfully lobbied within government for additional funds for the agency.
- Increased awareness of the organisation to record levels.
- Integrated the organisation into all aspects of the Olympics family.
- Was a member of the leadership team for the biggest tourism event in Australia, the Australian Tourism Exchange.
Other roles (1984 – 2001)
- Media Director, Office of the President and Minister for the Olympics, Sydney
- Manager, Media Information, Sydney Organising Committee for the Olympic Games, Sydney
- Media Adviser, Australian Government, National Media Liaison Service, Sydney
- Consultant, Holt PR, Sydney
- PR Manager, Sydney Olympics 2000 Bid Ltd, Sydney
- Media Manager, Roads and Traffic Authority NSW, Sydney
- Bureau Chief, Australian Radio Network, National Parliament, Canberra
- Four radio stations in Australia as a journalist and broadcaster, various
- Master of Environmental Management, University of New South Wales, Sydney, 2014 – 2017 (in progress)
- Master of Business and Technology, Australian School of Business, UNSW Sydney, 2003 – 2007
- Higher School Certificate, St Augustines College, Brookvale, 1983.
Date: March 2017